Float

Float

Saturday 27 October 2012

The loss of empathy

There's a speech  by Dr. Richard Teo making rounds on facebook. My reaction to it, after reading it, is not inspiration, but a frown.

I'm strange. I'm different. I know it.

I don't disagree with the speech, in fact I say well done to him. But maybe it's because I'm not considering a medical profession, but I don't have this urge to 'share' it.

Firstly I'm skeptical about what that might achieve in the first place.
What is the purpose of sharing something with a profound message? Perhaps it is three fold; one is to show that you agree with it (maybe to see who else is like-minded as well), two, to 'spread' the message and 'convince' others that it is a good philosophy, and three, to give other people a chance to be 'inspired' by it, as you have. 

To the first, I feel no urgent need to tell people who I am, why should I? I know that its natural, but I don't see the point. In fact, this is the kind of attitude that we've been told not to adopt. The one that seeks approval, seeks recognition, to be extreme. Considering the second, I do not think it'll be of any use. I don't regard my friends as ignorant, I believe that most youth today, and especially my friends, will already know this. Will already know that wealth doesn't bring happiness. (and for the medical part, we need to empathize with patients) And I feel it a little annoying that people have to remind you all the time about things that you know. And all this is compounded by the third purpose. And I think this is where I would diverge from most. 

I don't find it impressive.

You heard me right. I'm the kind of cold-hearted bastard who judges speeches and their clichés. Or at least the kind society makes of. I'm just not, 'inspired' by it. I've heard of this kinds of stories before, the kind where the threat of death invokes great introspection and revelation. In fact I got bored of reading it towards the end.

Don't get me wrong. I re-iterate that I agree with him, and he is a great guy. (after realizing he had cancer, I might add) It's just that well, shouldn't people already know this? Doesn't it frighten you that people have to be stricken by horrible ill before they think about their lives? I don't believe any of my friends need reminding of this, nor reminding that I adhere to it.

I've always knew that I could die, I could get cancer, I could lose someone. Anytime. All the time. It is life.

But I also know this - that in the great cosmos, we are but a speck of dust. I'm not a nihilist, I believe we should all try to forward ourselves and humanity. Make a contribution. And actually, I don't believe in 'achieving happiness' as a philosophy. I just don't think it can be achieved. It can only be realized.

Happiness to me, is a state of mind. It is being contented, regardless the circumstance. It is being exceptionally and weirdly optimistic and humorous all the time. It is the person who is suddenly shipwrecked on an uninhabited island in the middle of the Pacific, and says to himself 'well there goes my wedding anniversary plans' and chuckles to himself. It's not pathetic, it's profoundly courageous. It's not letting circumstance destroy you.

So in that big affairs state of mind, perhaps I have numbed a little to the smaller things. The melodrama, the 'struggles' as many say, the Coldplay.

I respect Dr Richard Teo, and I only wish people wouldn't need such stories from other people's lives, or their own, to realize all these virtues that have been repeatedly drilled into us by teachers and family members. 

The whole thing. My gosh. Manly tears.

No comments: