Float

Float

Friday 14 September 2012

World Peace

Since I was 11 years old that has been my birthday wish. (You know, when you blow out the candles or what not.

But no it's not like I'm pretending to be on some higher moral ground.
I was just kind of lazy.

Also I thought about it and the old adage 'be careful what you wish for' applies, so instead of wishing something selfish that I might have regretted not choosing something else later. A universally awesome wish sufficed. Also if wishes were real (we all were a little superstitious then), I didn't feel like wasting it on a video game ya know?

But I'd like to see it one day. Would really really love to. To one day wake up and look at my newspaper headlines say 'World Peace achieved as the last militant group surrenders to UN troops' or something. That would be something wouldn't it? It's wonderful and exciting. A day when all the fighting stops. When humanity is united.

The grandeur of secular humanism has always appealed to me. Something we could do ourselves. Building a better future in fraternity and freedom. (Viva la Revolucion!)

I was thinking about it this morning because of the recent attacks on the US ambassador, and while the Economist argues that the Arab countries are moving forward, it's still a long way to go really. Osama's death. How symbolic vs pragmatic has it been? I guess it's justice but that's all to me. The extremists are still extremists. People are still getting slaughtered in Syria, Yemen...

And yeah this whole issue just annoys me how ludicrously over-reactive humans are to irrational behavior.
Look, a fucked up guy decides to make a fucked up video. I feel that Indonesia's a good example for a response here. "We think it's really offensive you're insulting our religion, but no we will not be provoked by it". Awesome sauce, no protests. The response SHOULDN'T be "Oh look this douche made stupid offensive remarks. We should go fuck up the people who had nothing to do with it and actually want to make peace with our country! (ie the diplomats)" Real smart.

Freedom of speech is not a problem. And no, it's naive to say that there shouldn't be any insulting, offensive remarks as a result, such things are normative and inevitable given our messy irrational nature at times. But we shouldn't pander to them. Just ignore the clearly stupid remarks and try to be more self-assured of your religion and yourself. An affront to religion no doubt, give a good rebuttal and move on. And if more people are starting to subscribe to this rubbish view of your religion, debate with politeness but conviction. And not burn their ambassadors and flags.

Will still wait for North Korea to start feeding its people

A real classic!

No comments: