Float

Float

Wednesday 12 September 2012

TBBT

Initially wanted to put this as a a message on Jaren's tumblr after seeing this re-post:  http://butmyopinionisright.tumblr.com/post/31079561065/the-problem-with-the-big-bang-theory

I disagree with the the person though I haven't read the full length of his opinion (though I get the main message is we're supposed to support Penny and laugh at the nerds). I feel that perhaps some people may be slightly insecure of the personas given to them (like being called nerds). It comes across as defensive  to me in some ways, because I'm for the philosophy of laughing about everyone's quirks (including my own), and celebrating them. I do not find any of the characters 'weird' because quite honestly I think Penny and her ensemble of 'stupid' boyfriends are... well idiots. I laugh at Sheldon (for lack of a better term) not because I feel 'superior' (in fact I feel very much inferior, intellect-wise and sometimes wish the world had more people like him), but just simply because of his funny quirks, (sometimes I can relate to them too), his really good acting (as in the actor playing him is very good at that Sheldon persona). Though I do agree, that it is very disturbing that we're supposed to laugh at a person who has a real, and serious condition, yet from the outset

I did not see it that way for a few plain reasons. One is that I prefer him to his so-called 'normal' creationist mother (in terms of views, though obviously I prefer her character), and second is that he's capable of handling himself (and believing he's superior at that) in an adult world, away from his family or any support in a sense, which we don't see much in real life or other shows (often we hear talk about how we need to 'help' those kids with autism and that, when by far I think they are way more awesome than the idiots who can't do simple algebra), and frankly I don't respect someone with 'good social skills' in a sense that it's often played up to be as remarkable as intellect and logical thinking. When I hear someone is 'sociable', I often think of the dumb blonde (Unleashing all my stereotyping ) that resides in a typical High School. If you've seen the musical 'wicked', I respect the Wicked Witch very very much in the sense that she is so called 'socially awkward' but highly intellectual. No I do not pity.

I dislike the patronizing that goes on with 'nerds', and no I don't appreciate the labeling but I'm not upset about it. As the blog title goes, I'm uncool and I'm proud. The oblivious Sheldon is a model here, and frankly I don't completely disagree that he's 'superior' as he believes but at the same time, I'm all for so-called 'jocks' and what not, because contrary to what you've been led to believe in many High School dramas, the so-called 'bullies' or 'popular kids' can actually be very nice and smart students. The message is plain and simple, whatever title role society gives you, you can attempt to resist it and appear like 'the rest of them', but I ask... who the fuck gives a damn about society in the first place? Ok, granted, most people. I say you don't have to care, but stay true to yourself and do what you think is right and proper.

However, in the end, I have to concede to the person because judging by the number of re-blogs and likes, a lot of people support his view. And if the show is offensive to them, the producers should change it. Instigation is not funny. Getting laughed at is not funny (though honestly we need to be more self-confident and not rely so much on what other people think)

Yes, YOLO. No, it has nothing to do with the internet meme, it's just a good song.

No comments: