Float

Float

Monday 19 November 2012

The Republic(an) of Singapore

A question I asked myself recently was which political parties in Singapore were left-leaning and which were right-leaning.

The straightforward conclusion from what I believe was merely a 5 minute pondering session (which implies that I accept that I'm no expert on the issue) is that the PAP is right-wing, ie the Republicans, and the WP is left-wing, ie the Democrats. (while the rest of the parties are pretty much fringe parties, that fit here and there, and are a little extreme)

This was slightly surprising to me, because I generally support the democrats in America, but the PAP in Singapore (overall to run the country, but if it were my own constituency, I might consider the WP if they field good candidates and the PAP don't. I also believe very strongly that parliament needs more opposition voices), so I wondered if this was a contradiction. (The last political survey http://www.politicalcompass.org/test I took btw, put me very slightly left of center)

But not really, I figured. Because there are very large differences between the Republicans and the PAP.

Firstly is moderation, which the current Grand Old Party (GOP, Republicans) lacks very much with all their tea-partying primaries.

Second is secularism, which yes, the Republicans logically support because they are fervent believers in the constitution. But in practice, it's really a we-are-more-christian-than-the-democrats affair. It bothers me because their political attacks can sometimes include 'Obama is a muslim'. I mean seriously...

Third is well... put it this way: They have extremely stupid members. (Not all, I stress, and it is my hope that they will ultimately restore the party)
I realize this is a rather ad hominen attack. But it's extremely frustrating that that there are people who think abortion, global warming... well yeah you pretty much know the whole story. And these same people. Sit on the committee of science.

I sincerely wish the Republican party somehow reclaims their sanity and open-mindedness, because I'm no great fan of the expenditure-crazy Democrats.

No comments: