Float

Float

Sunday 21 April 2013

Culture Shock

BMT is over.

And all of a sudden, everything was gone.
No more platoon mates, no more ferry, no more 4th coy.

And yet I don't feel anything. All the cliches and all the memories.
Nope.
Nada.
Zero.

It's cold and I'm at a lost how different things are. It would seem I was not that adaptable after all. Or at least, that island was never my element.

I hate to say it. But I hate it. The culture, the people I guess. Not that they are of bad character. No. Just... not compatible. I guess. A culture shock that had a delayed effect. Again.

Or is it just another cycle of emotions? Sounds gay heh.

Somehow the army has made me less patriotic. It has brought to my attention the apathy and scum that live here. I didn't meet a single soul that said "I would defend Singapore if I went to war".

And yet army has made me a little more matured and a little humbler. More sensitive to what I cannot do, how different I am. The contradictions and hypocrisy I've made.

It is sobering to finally understand truths constantly reminded, but constantly refused.

No comments: