Float

Float

Sunday 24 October 2010

Essay frenzy 2

Topic taken from English Resource Book: Stars

Floating in murky milk, they glistened serenely. Their five tips gave the stars both aesthetic and physical balance at the same time. I prodded them with my crockery gently, generating ripples like a leaf falling onto a calm stream, disturbing the tranquility inside the bowl.

Slowly but surely the waves dissipated and serenity was once again restored on the surface of the cloudy concoction. I glanced back at the stars again. Some of them were bobbing up and down subtly, probably an aftermath of my 'spoon intervention'. Others merely laid back and let the milk guide them, as if sun tanning in a swimming pool. My mind drifted towards physics and the random movement of gas particles as I stared endlessly at the pool of yellow stars diffusing throughout the bowl of milk.

I gazed more intently at the stars and noticed a puzzling phenomenon --- they seemed to magically disappear into the milk, leaving a froth of bubbles behind that made the bowl look like it had been sprinkled with fairy dust, or should I say, star dust.

As I zoomed in for a closer inspection, the sweet, sugary smell of the mixture wafted into my nose and caressed my taste buds. I started to salivate lazily and hungrily.

Tiny drops of my saliva compounded in my mouth and fell onto one of the stars, causing it to react even more vigorously with the milk. I pondered for a moment at the strange sight. Yes, my biology teacher, Mr Munir told us our saliva contains amylase that digests carbohydrates, I understand now.

'What are you doing staring at your cereal? Hurry up and finish it or you'll be late for school,' my mother snapped.

I quickly came back to my senses and was suddenly acutely aware of what I was doing. Mr Munir sure did a good job teaching us to observe and question everyday objects and processes. Just look at me, scrutinizing a bowl of Honey Stars.

No comments: