Float

Float

Tuesday 26 October 2010

To what extent should one re-invent?

OK Not going to do an argumentative here but since Jaren mentioned discrepancies in the 'Myths' issue of the Present Perfect magazine, so it sort of sparked off something in my head.

An age old debate that has seen many different forms; Industrialize or not? Modernize at what cost? Will this erode our roots? Demolish the cultural heritage site and make way for brand new office buildings?

This has always been a grey area hasn't it?

I realized after pondering for a moment, that I have been contradicting myself all this while. While I brush off Indonesian artists' attempts at painting grim pictures of Indonesia's rapid industrialization as idiotic and stupid, I resent movies like 'Clash of the titans' for utterly destroying (OK I know its not utterly) the original myths they were based on.

So for industrialization, to change a farmer's way of life in light of better economic prospects, is it worth it? Considering his whole life, his spiritual needs and his well being have been based off routine and simple tasks?

Maybe its a matter of choice? Maybe its just that people don't like it they are being forced to industrialized sometimes, much like the Soviet Union pre-world war II, which by the way, progressed greatly as a result!

In the end, is the whole idea a subset of whether you should let others 'do whats best for you' or 'let you be'?

Then in a different topic but not entirely, how much should tradition and culture change to fit changing times? For instance, should Chinese be taught the same 'tried and tested' way that has been done for centuries by scholars of the middle kingdom? Or should it re invent itself, and suit the new learning methods of modern children?

Is it the same as cultures, which attempt to modernize themselves in order to reap more tourists dollars, in the process, possibly eroding its value and becoming a pseudo-culture?

I'M GOING INSANE WRITING SO MANY QUESTIONS


Progress or Roots?! Is there a compromise? Should they build a mosque near ground zero that is meant to promote peace, or honour the civilians who died? (By the way I totally support the mosque in case you don't know, I think its really stupid that people associate terrorism with Islam) WHY AM I EVEN GOING BACK TO THIS TOPIC?

OK DANG IT I'M GOING BACK TO MYTHS.

Sorry but this has to get out, and possibly has nothing to do with the above post.
OK BEFORE I START: I HAVE NOT ACTUALLY WATCHED CLASH OF THE TITANS.
Clash of the Titans is completely horrendous in adapting the original myth. Then again, the film is a revival of the original movie Clash of the Titans some time in the '80s which already skewed the myth enough.

From what I know, and I don't claim to know much haha, this is what the film got right.
Perseus is after Medusa's head (This is obvious)
Perseus wants to save someone (Yes yes keep going!)
Perseus is a guy. (REALLY? O SHY...)
Err... I can't think of much more actually... The film was quite a while ago

What the film got wrong (I'm saying the correct version which I know off, ONCE AGAIN I'M NOT TOTALLY RIGHT (Though I sound like one but hey, its more fun lol)
The gods are on Perseus side!!! Hades IS NOT A FUCKING BAD GUY SERIOUSLY. Why do people always associate him with evil? HUH? WHY? Does everyone think all underworlds are bad? Don't assume what you don't know. Yes its true in most stories, underworld = hell and hell is bad. BUT NOT GREEK OK? In fact, part of the underworld is a garden which is actually, omgosh you wouldn't believe the irony: HEAVEN. Yes the underworld also has heaven. The rest of it is pretty gloomy, but not evil or torturous.

Ok heres the deal, Hades actually lent Perseus his helmet of invisibility to fight the medusa.
Other gods who helped: Athena lent Perseus a shield, later known to be the Aegis shield that Athena binded the head of Medusa to, it was used to see the Medusa's reflection via the polished face. Hermes lent Perseus his winged shoes.

OK here's the part which is really horribly, terribly, SPASTIC.
THE KRAKEN IS FROM NORSE MYTHOLOGY
Anyone who actually thought the Kraken, a deep sea dwelling, definitely non-Mediterranean, giant squid-like monster was from Greek Mythology should slap themselves. DAM HARD.

I think if I actually watched the movie I could have discovered more nonsense but for now I think all this from watching the advertisements are satisfying enough =X By the way Jaren if you made it this far I think I did found some problems in the Present Perfect version of the myths, talk to you in school if you want.

No comments: