Float

Float

Tuesday 2 March 2010

Mythology

First of all, sorry for such a late post. You see, I was trying my best to recover (which ironically means slacking VERY HARD) from this irritating Bronchitis or something.

As you may already know, I find History very interesting and engaging (in other words I love it). It kind of started in P4 when my uncle bought me & my elder brother Age of Mythology(AOM) for christmas. It got me really interested and engaged (in other words loving it)in mythology for the first time because before that, I had known bits and pieces of mythology especially Greek, and the game had a very unique feature of showing you the history and facts of almost everything in the game just by clicking on the icon of the object with it selected. So when I first started, I was like "Hey I know this guy (E.g. Achilles)!" So I clicked the icon and read the mythology surrounding the character and from then on I was hooked. I read almost every single units', researchs', buildings', dieties' histories and mythologies. The many times I visited the library I borrowed books on mythology and history, mostly concerning the Greek, Egyptian and Norse civilizations because they were the three you can choose from when you play AOM.

Then when family members or friends stumbled onto the subject, I 口如悬河地talked about it. Each time they were impressed and commended me on it, I swelled with pride and slowly became arrogant and lazy. I stopped borrowing books at the library and research on the subject. I was also very close-minded to other civilizations such as the Celts and Chinese. I was also disliked how Roman mythology actually took most of the Greek one and completely changed the names, which I saw as copying. However, I am honest with myself now, I am no professional in this area. My mum said I could lecture classes on it, but really I can't. For one thing, I mostly know only mythology and very little history because it was more boring. For another, my understanding was shallow and limited because I didn't pursue a lot of less well known legends and stories. Lastly, I was closed minded to other mythologies.

Now, I'm beginning to be more receptive and take in more history, which is not only limited to the three ancient civilizations as mentioned but also to other civilizations from different eras such as the middle ages, dark ages, industrial and modern age. I'm also more interested in Roman history, if not the mythology, now.

Haha what a boring post. I have'nt recovered by the way, seems like school stress is inhibiting it. Big Bang Theory Theme Song (Full Version), a song that is related to my post =) Don't worry if you can't catch the lyrics, I also couldn't till I saw the lyrics. I acknowledge I do not own the song. <--- Small disclaimer for safety

2 comments:

Xtreme said...

AOM HAS EGYPTIANS? OMG I WANNA PLAY LIAO LOL. It's like Starcraft 1 and Warcraft Melee right? Looks like it's not a game I can easily play...

Btw, if you want to recover, just

a) think you are recovering, since psychology plays a part in sicknesses

b) drink at least 200ml of water every hour, this should result in you going to the toilet ever 2 hours, which will facilitate the excrement of viruses

c) eat fresh food (kinda obvious?)

d) if possible, don't move around so much? I'm not sure if this affects anything but every time I'm sick I'm glued to the computer and boom, the next day I've recovered.

e) medicine usually just gets rid of the symptoms so just have enough sleep. Sleep as early as possible and WAKE UP NATURALLY (don't force yourself to continue sleeping after 10 hours of sleep, and don't ask anyone to wake you up)

f) IMPORTANT : Refer to a) xD

Anyway, have you watched Percy Jackson? They said they tried to squeeze in greek mythology but I couldn't care less about a movie that was described as an RPG by a friend (you find yourself in a town, you move to a camp, you level up, learn new skills, team up with a party, they level up, you level up more, you learn more skills, you meet the boss, defeat the boss, and win the game/movie)

Are your tests over by the way? Wanna go out some day? (HJ and PJ are going to the cinemas this Sat late-afternoon/evening) Recover soon. I may ask for AOM soon... :x

Li Keen said...

I nvr show you AOM b4 meh? lolz since when do were you so interested in the egyptians. Yeah I'm doing a) I will start doing it now. b) Doing it already c) can't help myself =X d) my classroom is KINDA on the 7th floor and e-books havent reached my school yet. e) seeing chinese doctor now. wish I could have enuff slp f) Refer to a) =X Yeah I wanna watch sia! at first I was put off by the greek mythology mordenized thing, I thought they would screw it up (HADES ISNT EVIL GODAMMIT) Monday last Science Practical. I JUST REALIZED I ACTUALLY HAVE 2 AOM discs! cause my mom bought me the golden edition (meaning wif expansion) from america cause my expansion was pirated! so actually I hav 2 CD KEYS!!! IT MEANS I CAN PLAY ONLINE WIF U OMGOSH. lol wth overreact siol, see if u lik the game first la. Not as new as warcraft 3. RTS games have same basic gameplay but different advanced ones, u will noe wat I mean wen u play AOM, there is A LOT MORE emphasis on resources (wc3 max 5 peasant one gold mine if u get the point)