Float

Float

Tuesday 1 January 2013

Ragnarok

2012 was supposed to be the end after all, so perhaps this is the post-ragnarok, even after the nordic end of the world, the warriors always longed for peace.

I recall I once posted how there was actually no abject meaning to the new year. Winter did not suddenly stop; the earth did not pass some sort of solar systemic "pass go" if you will. But so much meaning is given to it, and it is with this 'cultural' significance that we celebrate. Some things, do not have to based on fundamental logic and science to be worth our time and reflection.

No less, I spent the countdown quite unplanned till a few days ago, at my good friend's house, playing a rather ubiquitous, un-extra-ordinary game of werewolf. Such is the beauty of the mixing of simple and grand events. He could have invited any of us any other day, and we ourselves could have turned up for other things, yet we stood by our ordinary plan to meet on an extra-ordinary last day of 2012. Even if we were not the closest of friends. (But I regard him as such of course)

Glad my helper/housekeeper/maid joined some neighbours for dinner, I think it meant a lot.

In unrelated, less emo news. I have somehow managed to burn most of my allowance. Today was because of a movie, adult fares and HMV Christmas sale.

I love all the quotes in Civ.

Tomorrow shall be my last coffee for a few days.

On FB as well: There was no astronomical or geological signature, no brilliant flash of a solar flare, no alignment of the planets or tectonics, only the symbolism that humanity gives itself. For some it passed in a whimper, as they were driving their train in extended hours, or their cab near countdown parties. For others, it was a short respite in a civil war-torn nation, or a sober realization that a year has passed and their country still faces crisis, be it a fiscal cliff, or corruption and women's rights. But for all, let it be a moment of new found hope for all their challenges. Happy new year everyone :)

No comments: