Float

Float

Monday 13 September 2010

Radicals on both sides

Like I often stress, there's always two sides to something and that balance if often my preferred route.

I'm not saying its black and white, but both sides have extremes and such.

Two articles interested me today, one on September 11 commemorations plagued by protests and one on MM Lee's interview.

There were both protesters supporting the ground zero mosque and protesters against it.

Things always start with a noble cause, don't they?
Those supporting the mosque speak of religious freedom and tolerance, a symbol of progression towards peace.
Those against the mosque spoke of insensitivity, that such a project should at least be mindful and respectful, and that the center should at least be relocated.
Unfortunately, extremists always ruin the initial noble cause.

Those against the project, who tell us its insensitive to build a mosque two blocks from 'ground zero' are now burning Korans. Irony?

Hah! I bet you thought I'd stop there? No? Really? Dang.

Those supporting the project, who say 'peace', 'freedom', even 'tolerance'. Nice words aren't they? Now they start finger pointing and calling the other side racists. Accusing them of bigotry, making false assumptions. I mean, if I say I don't really want to go out for movies today your going to call me anti-social? Blaming always lead to more blaming.

On to MM Lee's interview.
In a way, its really the same thing I'm getting at. He claims 'the greater good'. Well, I guess, everyone claims 'the greater good' don't they? Things always seem noble ideas at first. If MM Lee was willing to jail without trial because he thought it was for the better (and he was right), I'm willing to bet the communist thought spreading discord and killing people was for the better too.

I'm not attacking anyone really, I'm merely pointing out some of the fallacies and flaws of humans.
Humans are complex and imperfect, you can't expect everyone to always make the right decisions, so lets focus on the good aspects of someone who outweigh his faults.

Its from Harry Potter isn't it? Dumbledore planning mass genocide for 'the greater good'.

More from Jon Stewart, for Zaki?
The community center of death!!!

No comments: