Float

Float

Sunday 1 January 2012

New Year


The coming of the new year compels me to write something, as I close in to Milan on a Mercedez Bus

What is the new year? Winter does not stop at the stroke of midnight. There is no celestial marker in the Milky Way that the Earth's center crosses. "So teach us to number our days... so that we may be fruitful". And yet, we feel something. A sense of closure, maybe a new beginning. We inevitably just look back. On New Year's, on our Birthday's, maybe other New Year's from different calenders. How is it that our conscience is able to comprehend time? Is there something outside of time? (Let's not go there)

So look back I will.
New Year's 2011
A year of change, I could sense it. Leaving VS was not difficult, (technically you just walk out the gate), but it was undeniably sad and maybe a little bit scary. But I guess the thought, the resolve that I will always come back, and that yeah, I didn't really leave (I'm even wearing the 135 wristband right now) gave me comfort and courage. Heh, just a few months ago was the O levels eh. A few on and off outings with the avant garde of Ngee Ann Primary 06' and before I knew it I was handing over my appeal form with Amirul to the General Office, One Raffles Institution Lane. I did not know if I would be seeing the bust of our founder again. And one more thing that would inevitably affect me. Humanities vs Science.

Into Orientation
Fast Forward into Del' Chanto and I was pumped up and ready to meet people. I didn't know it, but at the time I was still trying to figure out if I was an introvert or extrovert. And I can't really say for sure. A lot of it is in the mind. But I was painfully aware my energy always saps away somehow.

Class
Just a few days later and I met my class. Surprise surprise Jia Lok, Joshua, Collin. That feeling that I wouldn't leave VS. Perhaps I didn't realize it at the time, but first impressions matter. Quite a bit. I guess right from day one, the things that were going to happen in the class already brewed, the good and bad froths. 

Crushes
'Nuff said

Council, Choir, Photog
Looking back, I have to admit I wasn't ready for council, and perhaps choir too. And maybe, it was all part of His plan to bring me closer. I think it really is true that we only realize his presence during dark times. I tell you a secret, that was the first time I prayed to the Lord, outside the Darkroom, waiting for the then exco's decision. And it happened to be the first time my prayer was answered. A bit much. It dawned on me how vulnerable this site is too.

Ms Chiang leaves
Another milestone of the year. Perhaps to some this doesn't seem noteworthy but I think it is. The loss of a CT does not bode very well for a shaky class spirit. I stand by my thinking still, that teachers are very important in class bonding. For if not the teacher, who shall be the objective facilitator? And more oft than not the CT is the only one in position over other teachers.

Will continue soon heh.

No comments: