Float

Float

Sunday 3 June 2012

Walking through Zara and Kinokuniya

Different feels altogether..
It's rather somber to realize what a strong predisposition we can have on certain things.
I think we should come to terms with the fact that at all times, we could be wrong.
I was going to talk about how wondrous it felt to walk through Kinokuniya rather than shopping for clothes at Zara but I pause. Because I know that I do dislike fashion, and I romanticize books. So there was it. A preconceived notion. A bias. So now I can only describe it as a feeling, my feeling, that I prefer books to clothes. But no, let me not be condescending and say that those who do the opposite are lesser, more superficial. Because it is as raw a fact, that book lovers can be equally fashionable, and perhaps the most hipster in fashion are also the advocates of classical literature and graphic design are they not? So what was I going to describe?

I was going to say that walking through Zara was so much less, so much more shallow to me. I saw people who looked like they styled their hair for 2 hours, and wearing jeans that made them partially paraplegic. And that in Kinokuniya, though in generally yes, the people did look more mediocre, less... fit, maybe sloppier, but the point was that no one care, because people were there for a wonderful thing, a love of books. And the flagship store was so large and exciting, like a million hours of entertainment, enrichment.

But I should not shouldn't I? Let's not generate false dichotomies of different interests. Wouldn't it go against my beliefs? That people don't necessarily have to be nerdy to be smart, and that computer scientists and engineers, can play classical piano on the side, or maybe gym 3 times a week? We are all the same species, with the struggles, needs... perhaps we should not antagonize people with interest that seem like fads, seem superficial, but those who are stubborn, who do not constantly seek new horizons and explore the vast galleries of the human cultural museum. Live and let live! Let everyone enjoy their pleasures, be it shoes or books. Why should we be condescending?

---------------------------------------------------------

I saw two things on facebook that jolted me back into politics, and let me come clean, that my knee jerk reaction is often unpleasant rebuttal. Which I refrain from saying of course, without digging deeper.

One of them was about DPM Teo at the Pre-U seminar and how the participants were frustrated at his responses. Before I continue, I must say that anyone who believes a political dialogue should be ideally apolitical, that is to say, objective, is absolutely missing the point. Obviously some things can't be said, obviously somethings cannot be just thrown at the public, which I must unfortunately add, are full of idiots. (my god just told everyone not to be condescending above). Urgh I'm tired, just typed a whole lot on Tze Yang's fb status. and its 1 am... Need to wake up and study tomorrow!

--------------------------------------------------------

I like songs with mixes of minor and majors... And kickass drums. Throw in some dubstep.

No comments: