Float

Float

Sunday 29 July 2012

China and Brit

My race is Chinese and I'm born in a former British Colony. I'm full-blown Singaporean and former of the former two.

We should celebrate each Olympics for their distinctiveness. Why compare the opening ceremonies? Well, many you-tubers commented on some clips from the Beijing Olympics, which, irks me. The Olympics for me comes closer to a vision of internationality of humanity that I hope to see one day. A day when the authoritarian and closed states open up, and finally for once, real world peace. Many people lauded the Chinese for putting on a spectacular performance. Then, I was like 'o yeah Asian power, Chinese power'. But the opening ceremony for the London Olympics was awesome too! In a different way. I had to go 'o yeah Brit power' too. Obviously, they cater to different taste. And they complement each other to show the diversity of human civilization.

Someone commented that the Beijing Games were meant to break stereotypes while the Brit ones reinforced them. Once again, such stupidity gets on my nerves. They say the Beijing Olympics 'showed how China is no longer a poor country'... I'M SORRY? DO THEY NEED TO SHOW YOU FUCKING LOADS OF FIREWORKS BEFORE YOU'RE CONVINCED? Honestly, the problem with these kind of comments is the frustration I get when idiots don't know shit about the world. Neither is China now like some perfect country. Don't forget the millions still poor, and the widening income gap. (But yes, really awesome how they lifted the most people our of poverty, helping the UN meet their millennium goal) London too, has their homeless, their destitute, and their rain. And yes, moving on the the Brits, its not stereotypes if they are true. Rowan Atkinson, the Queen, Queen, ARE BRIT. And I'd like to add, they are the best of the Brits, just as China showed the best of China. If you want to consider all these awesome things about the UK stereotypes, well then I'd love to see more of these stereotypes soon. I love British culture, and I'm proud of Chinese culture.

And they both LOVE TEA.

Eh, Tao Li disqualified from Butterfly Finals. Aww. :( Guessing Table Tennis might be our only medals.
Hooray for Singapore's up and coming indie scene!

No comments: