Float

Float

Wednesday 16 June 2010

Double post! Singapore: HUMAN TRAFFICKING?

Just yesterday, a small article cropped up that the US has put Singapore under her Human Trafficking Watchlist. I am quite interested in reading these small articles, because if you stick close to them, especially those with underlying tensions and escalating problems, they may turn out to be a front page headliner in just days. For example, the Gaza strip blockade and Red Shirt Protests.

Well it certainly seems I'm right, because today, a larger article has been put up about our response, which has certainly surprised me and is begging for me to change my view of how Singapore handles foreign affairs.

When I first read it yesterday, I was quite taken aback. Singapore and Human Trafficking??! What the hell? Seriously, I really never had any thought on an issue I never thought existed! When I think of the word human trafficking, I think of slavery. Closest relevance in Singapore I can think of is illegal prostitution and well, corrective work orders lol. In fact, me and my dad had a good laugh.

Today however, I am ASTONISHED. At Singapore's response! I can't tell you how appalled I am. I always thought Singapore, a small and vulnerable country (aptly put across by Mr Khoo, my humanities teacher a 1000 over times), would take the stance of the UN or bigger states even if she is against them. This has certainly given me something to think about.

Singapore is now ACCUSING the US of making a report that is 'a political ritual rather than an objective study'. I will write a few excerpts from PGA8 of the Straits Times today, June 16 titled "Human Trafficking: S'pore tells US to put own house in order". Sub header: "Foreign Affairs Ministry points to problem of illegal workers in US". "An American report accusing Singapore of not doing enough... has been lambasted by the Singapore Government" "In a blunt rebuttal, a ministry spokesman said: " How, for example, can the US rank itself in Tier 1 when it is well known that it has been unable to stem a flood of illegal workers, many if whom are trafficked by organized criminal gangs?" " HOLY SHIZZLE. Nice one Singapore.

I don't know if the newspaper is exaggerating, but it already has enhanced reliability, the fact that 90% of our trade is with the US and that we depend heavily on them for our economy and military stability in the region with China. I am equally appalled that this 'is not the first time Singapore has spoken up against the US State Department's report'. I really can't tell you the whole thing, I really hope you read it yourself.

I don't know what could happen, I'm both pleasantly surprised that Singapore isn't just 人云亦云, following the crowd because she is heavily export driven and depends heavily on diplomacy, but also afraid that Singapore might be starting a similar US-China tussle that could threaten our ties. However, after discussing with my father, he did point out something. The US need us too.

Singapore, right smack in the middle of two huge muslim states, at the heart of the SEA region and founder and big supporter of ASEAN. Plus, a well-known link between Asia and the West, the US do need us. They need us to stabilize the region, because Malaysia and Indonesia could turn anti-US anytime for their war against terrorism that has killed many innocent muslims in the middle east. They need us to mediate US-China relations, because we are closely linked to both. They need us for ASEAN, especially in their bid to get Myanmar to change. Hearing this from my father, I'm less afraid now.

This has got me thinking to, to a recent but less reported visit by an Iranian economic minister to Singapore. Where Singapore actually urged them to follow UN sanctions and rules on nuclear arms. When I heard it, I thought "Oh no what have you done now Singapore, he came here to do business and you tell them off for their nuclear program." Face Palm. But now I realize, Singapore is more matured than that. She is more stoic than that. Yet another event! When Lee Kuan Yew blatantly told Japanese reporters they need new blood, younger people, and that Japan has made some huge mistakes about how extreme their pure Japanese stance is, and so on and so forth, which I thought were very courageous remarks. Nope, Japan didn't get angry, they respected us.

All these made me realize, we ain't no pushover. Y'all.

I think this is very very fail, but I just want to put it up.

No comments: