Float

Float

Monday 7 June 2010

Teaching is a noble profession

My blog existed on the basis that I remained emotional and had a lot of problems I needed to share in real life. However, times have changed and I have found good friends that I lean closer to now, and maybe I have become a bit more sociable (lol). So my blog has to re invent itself to survive. Just like any developing nation turning into a developed nation, economies will stagnate if the country does not undergo reforms to suit changing times. In Singapore, we moved from agriculture and primary industries to labour intensive industries (because of the post-war baby boom) then to capital intensive manufacturing, meanwhile also increasing enterprise and services by attracting foreign talent and MNCs. Now, some of these options are not viable because Singapore has a declining birthrate and cannot compete with China in terms of labour market. For us, the next step is clear ------ towards a knowledge-based economy.

For me, this blog will slowly turn to relating on current affairs (which I can rarely share in real life) and daily activities.

Teaching is a noble profession. When I grew up, I was blessed with wonderful teachers in Primary School. This was even enough to set my mind to become a teacher. I love to teach, and sometimes it is apparent in non-academic areas.

Kung Fu Chaos. Remember that game X? Yeah, I sort of thought you didn't I? Made you go through all those training modes while I gave some tips and hints. Haha, don't know if you consider that teaching. Halo too?

In class, when someone calls for help or says he doesn't understand something out loud, I leap into action! lol Most of the time, these people took it as a means to show off. I don't know, maybe its partly true, but I wouldn't shrug off a lesson or two if it helps, especially if your friend is teaching you.

Then, when I entered secondary three, I met my wonderful class, who didn't see me as a smartass anymore, because they were good in other fields, or perhaps their just better people altogether. When I taught them things, they'd politely say thanks and we both benefit. (Sometimes I find something I don't understand either, other times I just feel happy for the thanks.)

There's another person whom constantly asked for my help, Shi Xian. Really nice guy, so willing to learn and is always grateful for your advice...  I hope one day he can teach me because now he sort of thinks everyone is better than him, which definitely isn't true and I want him to see that. Outside of studies, I also taught him a bit of table tennis with Marcus (Liu) too.

Recently, I 'retired' from my duties as a section leader in choir. I really really enjoyed teaching, just to see my section learn so fast and develop (in terms of character) and bond together as a section warmed my heart. To a lot of teens, this is all mushy mushy stuff but its true. I love alto.

I've always tried to root for teachers, even when the rest of my class don't. Does it make me a teacher's pet? Whatever it is, I've toned down and is more willing to see and not deny that all teachers have weaknesses. But no matter what, when students co-operate, learning is always more efficient to a large extent. Class is also more fun.

For me, it is the duty of students to do their best to listen to the teacher even if they do not like them. In any case, talking behind their back is also equally bad. My class is awesome because we co-operate no matter who is teaching us. When we are unhappy about teaching methods, we voice our opinions and give feedback, and believe it or not, the teachers are making every effort to change for our class to.

The environment is so open and friendly. Unlike in secondary 1 & 2 when students basically didn't listen or co-operate in defiance just because they didn't like the teacher. What kind of crap is that? I think it doesn't help anyone. In fact, I think its pretty immature, acting like spoilt princesses. (A term coined recently in the newspaper for a different meaning).

Yes I know, some teachers refuse to change. Does that mean we should refuse to change too? Are we in control of our class? Do we determine what the lesson should be? Ultimately, the teacher, no matter what, is of higher authority and changing them shouldn't be through hostile acts of defiance and hate, but through gaining respect from the teacher by giving him or her the same respect, and slowly suggest and give logical feedback where he or she has faults. I mean, are you going to quit your job if your boss sucks? Its unfair, but sucking up is the first step to change in an ancient Caste system.

Do you like my paragraphing? Does it help?

Coffee. 2 times writing speed. 4 times more alert. 2 times more likely to go toilet. I don't see why not.
Yes its done by me. Yes my photoshopping is getting better.

No comments: