Float

Float

Sunday 20 June 2010

Family comes first

This post was meant to be up yesterday. I'll explain later.

The choir is like a family to me. (Or am I just saying that to fit the title? lol)

I woke today feeling estranged, I hadn't thought about handover in quite some time. My mind automatically switched to ISG. The last time I might lead my section. My father drove me to school as usual. As I crossed the PE department, there was a weird look (or so I thought) on everyone's faces as I walked past them towards the field. Sigh, somehow I knew Alif would shave without us. Thought he was being a bit extra cause well, it wasn't a committee thing anymore, its just an Alif thing now. Lo and behold, Rifdi would follow. We played our sports soon after without a hitch and had a lot of fun. Felt guilty I missed the soccer match where Altos played Sops cause I was playing badminton with Kenneth, Eugene and Isma Harif in the hall which was addictive haha. Anyway, I had played for all the Alto games, and I thought soccer was the sport I would be least helpful anyway. I scored twice in basketball, 6 times in badminton (one set only) and thrice in captains ball, so I felt accomplished by the end of ISG. I tried to cheer the altos up though we lost nearly every game against the sops. Sigh, Jon Lo wasn't really helping haha. Well, I'm sure everyone had fun.

Handover. I don't know, I still feel absolutely weird, detached. Its like my resignation hasn't sunk in yet. I felt that Rhapsody was sort of a closure to me. Technically if you close something twice you'd open it. lol, just a weird analogy. Well, as expected, announcing the ASL for alto was met with reserved applause, I think its quite clear no one knew who Hung was. I hope I didn't make a bad choice. It left me hanging even more. A sort of "what have I done?" feeling. Before I knew it, it was over. And there I was, my collar feeling very very empty, badge-less. Went out with the ex-chairman/ex-bass section leader, chairman, records manager, vice-chairman, Assistant soprano section leader, student conductor/tenor section leader, ex-ex student conductor, ex-ex secretary, ex-ex bass section leader.. Err yeah, I think that's all of them. That's where it happened. Aaron, "I really miss talking to you guys"... That's when it sunk in. My heart was a mess with thoughts and feelings. I'm going to miss all of you.

That wasn't the end of my day. Alif initially invited us to go watch Toy Story 3, I obviously turned them down, not just because I was attending my Brother's commissioning that evening, but because, I didn't want Alif and Gang to make jokes and screw up an innocent show for me.

Nope, I rushed home to shower and change and get ready for my Brother's commissioning as a naval officer. Haiz, I don't know if he knows, but I miss him at home. That's sort of why I look forward to the weekends, when he comes back from camp. I like sleeping in his FengShui filled room though lol. In the car, got a chance to talk to my brother's old friend Kenneth who used to live a stone's throw away from us. I remember when I used to get really excited when he and Hui Neng, my brother's other best friend in primary school and whom also lived very close came over to play. At that time, I was excited to wow them with my impressive Halo and gaming skills, you know, like any kid would; to impress your elder brother and his friends. Now, I've grown and am more independent. (hmm a bit egoistic there) So instead, I had an intellectual talk with him in the car. I wonder if he was surprised. Actually, he had a big impact on me. I actually have a new resolve now. He confirmed my handover by talking about my next path in education. He told me, RJC. And he had a lot of good points. Including one I never thought about, connection. The people in RJ may one day be the presidents, the CEOs the ministers that I KNOW if I go there. It has a lot of benefits haha, it seems like corruption but thats not really the point. The point is that, since they know you beforehand, and in school they've seen you work hard and have the capability, they might just hire you because they can trust you, as they've seen you work in a project for school before you get it? So its not favouritism so much. Plus Jia Lok seems to be aiming for there! That's always a bonus, having Jia Lok around haha. Don't know if I stand a chance though, I only can minus 2 points for CCA. So my resolve for O levels has strengthened. Anyway back to my brothers commissioning

Of course, the usual marching and pledges which by the way were awesome, I couldn't capture all of them so I'll show you some snippets. By the way, this the first time I using the video function on my D90, so the camera work is UBER noob. Video quality isn't that good after uploading onto youtube (private viewing)

The National Anthem, in contrast to how most schools sing it haha.


The tossing of hats, now official graduates. They played lady gaga songs after that what the.... lol


After that we had dinner with a lieutenant (Lief) colonel. BTW in case you don't know: 2nd Lief (My brother) ---> Lief ---> Captain (My father) ---> Major ---> Lief Colonel ---> Colonel ---> Full Colonel ---> Brigadier General ---> Major General ---> Lief General ---> Full General ..... Eh Marcus correct me if I'm wrong lol

My brother, the naval officer. I can't tell you how proud I am...


No comments: