Float

Float

Thursday 17 June 2010

Gaming is more than fun

You see, I like games that actually help in other ways most of the time.

A study conducted by a university in cambridge found that Runescape players work harder and are more patient. (Source: Wikipedia) I even met a singaporean player who got distinction in economics for his A levels playing Runescape to test economic theories because of the elaborate market based system. And for those of you from VS who took the Chemistry prelim, you would have known copper and tin make bronze if you played Runescape. Yes there is fantasy, but thats understandable or it wouldn't be a game anymore.

Age of empires and mythology thought me quite a broad range of history and to learn to like it even. You see, in age of mythology, if you click a unit's info icon, you can read the history of that unit. For instance, clicking on the hoplite: "The predominate Greek soldiers of antiquity was the Hoplite, named after the great round shield he carried into battle...In battle they would close with the enemy as a pushing wall of shields..." Each building or character has about a 150 word paragraph on its history or legend.  I'm not saying everyone who plays the game will get smarter about it, because its different for everyone. For some, its just a game and don't even care about the story-line. For others, they are unable to tell fact from fiction.

Now to sim city 4. Sim is short for simulation, which is what the game really is about, a city simulation. Some can even argue that it isn't a game. The lucky thing for me was that I picked this game up at the start of secondary 4. It did quite a bit of wonders for my human geography. I found that I was more interested and engaged in class than most others. Although I did not fair well in major examinations (I think i have a time management problem), I could score quite well for the class test and projects. Why? Well, Sim city 4 is pretty realistic (being a simulation). Although you seem to be in control, a lot of things are happening in the background of the game. The time frame is also pretty realistic, (don't expect to build skyscrapers overnight). It taught me too, that many cities start as dirty dingy hell holes and that making money while providing civiv services is seriously difficult. I can't elaborate too much (or it will take me forever to finish).

Which is why I'm getting concerned at the plethora of games nowadays that aren't putting games in a good light. Games like left 4 dead 2, red alert 3, Starcraft 2, etc. A lot of parents are concerned when their children game, and I can understand why. Thankfully I can convince my parents it isn't a problem for me. When I play those games, yes it is fun, but I don't know, I just feel empty inside. I know it sounds super cliche but its true. I don't feel satisfied at all, like these games are surface level, no depth, nothing. Its an empty sort of fun. That's why I usually only play these games with friends.

BTW, you can tell those that are photoshopped and those that are pure photography by looking at the label of the post. Removed, examination breach

No comments: