Float

Float

Friday 9 July 2010

The bus stop

Scorching weather and a lack of funds pushed me to take the long path home by changing buses at St Patricks Secondary School bus stop.

I waited patiently outside Victoria School, thinking about what I'd do when I got home. A group of my Thai classmates interrupted my thoughts. Watching Despicable me? Dang, wish I could tag along. After they left, my thoughts drifted towards going home to my warm, cosy bed and taking a rejuvenating nap, it fueled my longing for the bus number 155 to come sooner. At last, I glimpsed a purple and red bus turn a corner in the distance.  I got up in anticipation, only to sit down again. '135'. Disappointed though I was, I patiently awaited my bus again.

When it finally came, I boarded the bus, greeting the captain 'evening' in hestitation though it was only 3.15pm. I sat through the short bus trip. Sporadically I thought of my bed and each successive time my tiredness grew until I nearly succumbed to exhaustion. Thankfully my mind stayed sharp lest I repeat this year's friday the 13th and walk an extra 2 kilometers home.

I reached Saint Patricks and alighted with an assuring 'beep' behind me. I walked slowly and coolly towards the traffic light and tapped the button. It was not long before I was on the opposite side, standing at the bus stop. Like a bolt out of the blue, a loud horn erupted on my left, shocking me momentarily. I looked instinctively on for the cause and found it: a St Patrick student smiling wryly at his attempt to jay walk. I don't mean to be condescending, but whatever draconian punishment they are enduring, it isn't working. Do teenagers really have the natural proclivity to be indecorous rebels?

The culprit crossed the street in the end (still jay walking) and brushed past me. Meeting him there, I hazard a guess, was his 'gang'. One boy was dressed in full black with large ear studs and hair that could have passed off as a bridesmaids' hairdo during a wedding. Another with a fag in his hand, squatting like a hokkien peng. Has it maybe occured to him that he may one day get lung cancer and die? Is it then that he finally gets rudely awakened from his teenage dream of popularity? Its just unfathomable that someone would knowingly waste their lives like that.

Is it pride? Does he want to prove to everyone he didn't make a bad decision when he took that first ciggeratte? Is he trying to prove it to himself? Is he perhaps under the delusion that smoking is cool? Maybe in the short-term, but when he grows old and grey, he will be but an empty shell of regret. Are these kids, these young adults, the future of Singapore? Short-sighted, petulant, sulky and derisional young adults? I wonder if they may ever realize this.

Out of the corner of my eye, a welcome sight approached. I boarded bus '40' and thought no more. So ended another negative encounter at the Saint Patricks bus stop.

I love many songs, of all genres. This one is totally different from the RS and AOM music I've been preaching about, I'd just like you to know I'm not obsessed with anything, I can appreciate almost all music.
Breaking Benjamin - Blow me away

No comments: