Float

Float

Tuesday 13 July 2010

Unclassed: Without social status

An infuriating 45 minutes I waited for '155' to appear again. Then another 5 minutes for '40' compensated for lost time. While walking home from the bus stop, a person tapped me on the shoulder.

It was a St Patrick's student. "Hey didn't see you at the bus stop just now!" I thought what any Singaporean would have thought had a stranger just say something like that. 'Do I know him?' I hastily replied, "Yeah I was standing in a corner."
"Where do you stay?"
"Nearby."
"What bus do you take to school in the morning?"
"Actually my father brings me there."
"Wah so lucky ar!"
"Its so close by, plus he has to go to work anyway."
 "Oh, I don't see you often, CCA ar?"
"No, my class is special... (I thought of ESP) Not in a bad way though. We take extra subjects."
"Oh what subject?"
"Art Elective and Core Geography, aside from History Elective."
"What class you from?"
"4D"
"Huh?"
"4D"
"What the fuck is that?"
"Secondary 4, D class."
"What the fuck? I'm from 3E2"
"Secondary 3 Express 2?"
He didn't answer. "Were you in St Pats in Sec 3?"
"No"
"Wait... what school you from?"
"VS"
"OHHHHH. I thought you were from St Pats"
"You can tell from the school bade I'm wearing."
"Oh I didn't see that."
He looked hesitant or embarrassed, I couldn't tell. I stamped put the urge to say 'So you just go talking to other St Pats students like that?'
"Where do you stay?" He continued, smiling again.
"Down the road."
"Do you live next to me?"
"Nah, next to the large house there."
He stretched out his hand, "(His name)"
"Nice to meet you.", grabbing his hand and shaking it.
"Your name?"
"Li Keen."
"Sorry?"
"Li Keen." (I get that a lot)
"See ya!"
That is a conversation I'd like to have. The whole time I thought he was an ex-VS student, and he thought I was a St Pats student. The social barrier that usually divides different schools didn't exist, and I wish there were more people like him; friendly. He was more engaged in the conversation than me and Ryan, a VS neighbour. Was that the ideal communist situation? Everyone is equal, there is no need to keep to yourself or fear rejection. Out of 100s of bus captains I've greeted, only 3 responded. Sometimes I just wonder how other countries are, Thailand, land of smiles, America, people striking up conversation on the road. Is it really true? Meanwhile Singapore, land of in-earphones. Wow.

Saturated Cavenagh. Sorry pics removed! Breach of examination rules

No comments: