Float

Float

Sunday 29 August 2010

Life is unfair, but you can make it fairer

By embodying your principals and unfailingly advocating your morals, you can change not only yourself but the people around you, albeit slowly. You become infallible and respected.

With conviction, I hope that someday people will realize it.

About 15 minutes before this post...
My mother started stomping around the house looking for a camera charger which she specifically left neatly organized with other electronic equipment used on overseas trips. She didn't make an effort to show her displeasure at my elder brother who allegedly misplaced it.

To put you in context, she has a flight tomorrow (actually this morning) and she was doing some last minute packing (though not of her fault).

After a few minutes of frantic futile finding (woo hoo alliteration!), she woke my elder brother (who slept early for church tomorrow today) to voice her discontent. 

So have you ever been woken up from slumber, knowing you have to get up early the next day for something important? Me? Many times. By my mother.

I don't blame her though. People have different ways of taking out anger. 

She usually wakes me up because the internet is slow or she doesn't have a clue how to use safari. The way she talks to me makes it seem like its my fault for error 404.  She does calm down after I solve the problem though.

For my elder brother, he will start kicking or physically harm my innocent modem which will probably make it worse (though miraculously it does work at times). He will however, take the initiative to send the computer for repairs after repeated failures.

For me, I let out a curse word (in my head...sometimes), then try to calm myself down before solving the problem, by doing weights or reading the newspaper. I try to think rationally in situations like these. If its a hardware problem, I usually aggravate my condition as I usually hit something while trying to tighten wires, etc. I think I'm improving though =D

My brother was none too pleased disturbed from sleep. Of course, like any civilized, rational human being would do, he tries to let it go and feign sleep.

My mother was none too pleased with his apparent apathy at her 'crisis'. I strengthened my search to prevent tensions from heightening.

I found it thankfully, but I think I made it worse +_+. 
I told her life is unfair and not everyone's going to be a perfectionist like her.

"YOUR BROTHER LOR." Making no effort to lower her volume.

"EH SHIT LA YOU NEVER TELL ME RIGHT! FUCK YOU." My brother retorted angrily.

I wonder if its NS that thought him to swear that way.

Sensing this could be a Manila Hostage Crisis, I attempted to remain neutral, but err, sided my brother. Oops

"Hey look, I never meant it that way, I'm just saying, not everyone is going to be a bloody perfectionist, you can't always get you want cause life is unfair. Some people are going to screw you up, deal with it and move on!"

Before any of you try to talk some sense into me for lecturing my mother, I get it.
I get it that she has a stressful life maybe for her kids. I get it that people tend to get cranky at night. I understand how she feels, that its not your fault yet you have to bear the consequences of others' idiotic doings.

But I believe people can be better than that. I guess you just have to accept that life is unfair. Some people will lose hope at this point. I think we can make it fairer by being a better person. In the face of disaster, you don't just curse nature, you save your neighbours' children.

Why am I posting so late? I drank coffee to keep myself awake designing my younger brother's birthday party invitations. Turns out it wasn't that necessary because I finished a decent one in 15 minutes. Definitely not Marcus standard but considering my printer is running out of toner...

To put into context the theme, his name is Yi Keen and he is turning 9.

The cartoons were taken off the net, I acknowledge they are not mine. The background thing (for the front) is mine though. Really quick photoshop soft brush and custom ink splat using warm colors.

Inside
Front Cover (Right) Back Cover (Left)

No comments: