Float

Float

Friday 6 August 2010

National Sigh

I am proud of my country. So damn proud.

Our safe streets. I hate that feeling. That feeling I get in other countries. You got to watch your back. You even have to look foolish and put your bag in front to be cautious. Sometimes you can't even venture out at night, knowing you can get mugged any second. Even in other developed countries like America, where I don't really understand why they even allow guns, maybe because I was born here. I don't like real guns anyway, sure you can play all those FPS games but when it come down to it, I'd hate to wield a real gun; and my assaliant to wield one too.

Our lucky stars Lee Kuan Yew, Goh Keng Swee, Toh Chin Chye, S. Rajaratnam, etc. I cannot fathom what it'd be like without them. I used to think it was because a small country is easier to govern and that we had a very good geographical location for sea trade. Then I realized every country has natural strengths and weaknesses. Capitalizing on strengths, and mitigating weaknesses is no mean feat. I mean, all non-landlocked countries have ports. We don't have an ounce of oil when countries like Iraq, Oman, etc. do, and maybe you haven't noticed, but our population is a tiny ant in a refridgerator.

Our racial harmony. Looking at France banning full veils, looking at Arizona pass its immigration law, Japan's almost non-existent non-Japanese population, I know. I know that being raised in Singapore without prejudice and that much blatant or subtle racism is so, so great.

Even our clean toilets.

If you've been to other countries and listen attentively during humanities classes, you can feel it too.
I cannot fathom what its like without our founding fathers. Look at Ethiopia, Congo. Yes they just made peace ---- after years of civil war. I am so grateful, so appreciative, so lucky.

Yet, my generation has many who think quite the opposite.

Today at National Day observent ceremony, the rich fag and 'cool gang' were standing in front of me. When the national anthem played I sang pretty loud (because the band plays slightly lower so I can reach the notes on real voice), and they gave me that look. That 'what the hell is wrong with you' look. You can't imagine how infuriated I got.

SO NOW ITS WRONG TO SING THE NATIONAL ANTHEM LOUDLY AND PROUDLY IS IT? THAT US TEENAGERS CANNOT BE 'BRAINWASHED' BY 'THE MAN?'

HOW FUCKING IMMATURE CAN THESE PEOPLE GET?

Do they think that they are above Singapore? That, if they were born in another country they'll still be as whats that phrase they usually use nowadays? "Fucking Awesome?" I don't want to lose my temper but I really really hate it. Hate that I'm even associated with these kind of people!

I bet if they read this post they'd think that I'm a lost soul whose been 'brainwashed by the system'. That somehow, 'they know'. Somehow they are better than me, because they are not patriotic. That somethings wrong with me. That I'm a goof, a douchebag in their language.

Am I jumping to conclusions? Making assumptions? I think I've lived to see these students' behaviours too long to be wrong. Do they have so called family problems? "My mom's a faggot." "I hate my dad." Are they molesting you? Did they lock you in a tower far from anyone until you 'let down your hair?'

I'm losing the hope that the friend's around me give me, because of the overwhelming number of teens who can't grow up in my generation.

After that the announcer requested that we remain standing, obviously in respect for the National Day message to all schools. I'm sure you all can guess by now what the response was. 'Sigh!' 'Wah lau!' 'Wtf is their problem!' 'Shit la I knew it!'

Then Jun Yew made the comment, 'Live our dreams, fly our kites haha.' to spoof this years theme. I cannot allow myself to tolerate anyone saying something I dislike, even my best friends. Maybe it was a build up of anger from the idiots in front of me whom I detest, but I called Jun Yew the 'B' word.

Was I overreacting?

Cross Country was quite fun. Somehow or rather I picked up the Glam House flag just lying on the tree. I jokingly quipped it was "my destiny" to my juniors and peers. All of a sudden we were called to do the mass run.

The next thing I knew I was running with the house flag. AWESOME LOL. Super fun and funny, running with Jin Xiang (also from Glam) taking turns to carry the flag. Beat the Whampoa and VS flag bearer who gave up when we passed them. Yeah we were called Yong Wee extra a few times on the way but I didn't care, and neither did Jin Xiang. It was like being an Olympic Torch Bearer or charging the Confederates with Union soldiers behind us.

Just yesterday I finally experienced watching a VS soccer match without being forced to go.
Maybe cause I'm going to graduate soon, so I sort of want to experience everything VS in the short amount of time before the 'O's. So although unconventional, I can now tell my friends I ran the mass run with a house flag lol.

I am awfully embarassed to say I didn't post any RS songs because I was afraid of rejection, but I'm not afraid anymore. I don't care what other people think so much, its for me to enjoy then. My own little world.

No comments: