Float

Float

Tuesday 9 August 2011

A house divided cannot stand on its own

Abraham Lincoln quoted this from the bible.

In a generation of anti-PAP and indifferent Singaporeans, how long will it take before a crisis strikes and Singapore breaks? What will it take for heroes like Lim Bo Seng, Lee Kuan Yew and Toh Chin Chye to appear? Just a day ago I observed on as my schoolmates laughed when the world war II documentary talked about how disembodied heads were hanged around Singapore by the Japanese to inspire fear and obedience during World War II.

It is true that we can't be stuck in the past and that we should be hopeful and opinionated individuals rather than paranoid and unquestioning youngsters. Yet after all the slander on our Social Studies Textbooks as 'brainwash' and expressed irritancy at all the warnings of our vulnerability, I would say we have become a little too complacent and spoilt, and ungrateful.

Not enough people appreciate the value of History.

I must clarify that not everyone is so, just that there are not enough. I hope no one becomes a fanatic and get angry and every joke thrown against Singapore's quirks, just that I'd like to see more people express some love for their country.

And of course we go back to the same question: Why should we love Singapore?
I guess its true that we didn't choose to be born here, its true we didn't get an ideal life, it is true that we may not be the best country. Yet it is a question of gratefulness and values, are you the kind of person who will be thankful for help, for nurture, even when you didn't ask for it? I didn't choose to go to Ngee Ann Primary, heck, I wasn't very happy at first going into VS.

I implore students to appreciate, accept, and adore your life, because you were born here, not because you chose to be born here. You cannot choose your entire life, you can choose to cherish it nonetheless.


No comments: