Float

Float

Monday 10 October 2011

Storm

This post is a few days late. And if you count from the actual first post (meant for a secondary 1 assignment on blogging), it's actually, the 300th post of this blog. 300. THIS IS SPARTA.

-----------------------------------------------------------

I'm a social butterfly, so there.

----------------------------------------------------------

Storm. Troopers
Two days ago, due to the fairly early ending of my PW meeting in school, I was left with an empty afternoon waiting for a night out with VS buds later.

Hence, being the insecure Singaporean teenager who must be productive at all costs, I deliberated on the way back alone how I should spend my time.
Do PW. HELL NO
Sleep. Tired of sleeping
Emo and blog. Later
Do assorted things at home. WASTE TIME.
Do photography. OK fine.
Where though? I had many ideas back then. It wasn't a pleasant idea to travel far out . OK somewhere in the East. Err. That rain tree I never took in Paya Lebar? Meh, that's only one spot. LABRADOR PARK. What the hell I said East. Hmm. Hmm. BEDOK RESERVOIR.

So I returned home purposely, showered and got my gear together, which took an abnormal amount of time because I had to change into something that suited photography at a reservoir AND a formal occasion (Grad Night) later.

Three things I thought of but did not bring: Umbrella, Cap, Tripod. Woe is me.

As soon as I stepped out of the bus. BOOM. Rain. There you have it, best outing ever. Wearing nice fairly new canvas shoes with jeans, camera equipment, no cap, no umbrella. And wow, it ain't like MacRitchie with wood platforms. Its SAND. Porous silicon dioxide that stores pools of muddy water.

And I was alone. I mean what do you expect from a spontaneous photography outing in the east of all places. Rifdi, preparing for LSD art exhibition. Husain, training. Marcus, rotting in Nanyang. Clarissa, PW. Even asked some non-easterners that I met in school. Songyuan, not free. Daru lent camera away. An hour earlier. WAIT WHY DIDNT I ASK ZENIA? Oh shit nevermind. Let's just go with, there's an unwritten rule that its quite weird to ask a girl out one on one unless she's your GF or consistent good friend. (hey they're both GFs!) Yupz. OK moving on :)

So there I was, caught in the rain (which became so heavy I took shelter in a toilet with sandy shoes). Having all these negative thoughts.

Then the rain subsided after 10 minutes and I walked out, feeling weird. I told myself I should stop complaining. I'm not alone, God is with me. In me. In fact just today at church there was a profound message that's relevant as I look back.

Give thanks in all circumstance.

Not just positive, negative, but whatever circumstance.

So I said. God took away my cap, my umbrella, and my sheltered feet so that I may experience the fullness of the blessed rain on a sunny day. And so I exited the toilet as the heavy pour became a drizzle, placing my lens hood on to give my camera some form of moisture protection. Hmm, haven't named it yet. I shall call it Daphne :) Daph90. D90. Lovely name. And it has to do with Greek Mythology! Yay.

It was not surprising that my photos sucked.
1. I'm noob.
2. Uninspiring afternoon lighting
3. Only had a chance to explore un-interesting parts of the reservoir.
4. Stormy skies = dullness everywhere.

Then I thought. Well. I suppose. When all your photos suck and are dull, might as well make it a black and white series. Lol.

Was going to post a dozen pictures here, then realized. WTFISH AM I DOING? OK. Chance to use Picasa Web Albums slideshow gadget. The photos are on the right called Bedok in Black. Not all are B&W. A sparse number of colored photos are added in the mix as they look better in color. (Edit: I tried using the gadget and its freaking difficult to use so I'll just embed here.)


----------------------------------------------------------

So after that short excursion, it was time to head back to VS for Grad Night (and later to VJ for the LSD art exhibition) and dare I say it its 1AM so I need to sleep. Till next time.



No comments: