Float

Float

Friday 10 June 2011

Of likeness and learning

Have to stop being envious of loud and often superficial groups.

New York has really been great. Many of my fellow trip mates gawk at every sight they see. Frankly though, it may just be a browner, dustier, grid-like look to the city that's the only difference. Even the ambassador says life here is really similar to Singapore. The people are of course more hospitable and friendly. Lovely. If I'm lucky enough I can strike a nice conversation with Singaporeans on the bus or train at times. For example I had a nice chat with a fellow Singaporean heading for the WP rally in Aljunied the other day. Its easy when you can start on common ground and realize we are all mature thinking adults (most of us anyway) and there's nothing to be afraid of to talk and meet with people.

I finally have a chance to use my out-of-textbook knowledge too, which of course, gives me a sense of pride, but at the same time, fulfillment. Not just because my learning is really not just limited to the textbook, but because others realize it too (I hope). I especially love the Metropolitan Museum of Art (The Met for short)... darn it couldn't stay longer :( Didn't have time to see the Arms and Armour exhibit and other really awesome exhibits. We were however greeted with a pleasant surprise while waiting for the bus as an African-American Saxophonist cum Clarinet player played the Chinese anthem and a few popular Chinese songs like 童话 and 月亮代表我的心。They really know how to do business, these Americans :P Also was amused to hear a well pronounced ‘今天的天气好热呀!’from him. Wonder if he did it because he cleverly identified us as Chinese. The essence of a performer I guess, is really to give your audience a good show, know what they want, and enjoy it too. And boy he sure enjoyed it.

Alas, just like my class, it seems like the group is polarized as well. Three factions between the high-minded, seeking to learn the so-called boring stuff, the people whom well, looks like they just came to shop and tour, and the limited number whom find a delicate balance.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rest of the day 2 photos will be on FB soon
A podium at the University of Columbia

No comments: