Float

Float

Wednesday 13 July 2011

Education Resolution

It takes something meaningful to hurt.
I took all my papers back non-chalantly, except GP
You know you should be caring when you talk to people of Kwang Ik and Rachel's calibre, at a certain intellectual level yet fall short of their exam standards tremendously. Or if a close friend tells you he's awful at the subject and asks for your help, but succeeds you mercilessly.

To realize that what you've been doing doesn't work, to realize how much you've been working won't do.

Unprepared for a tragedy.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Somehow my mind thinks its my responsibility to balance every possible argument. I am have an innate irritation to one-sidedness. If it is something I am for, I dislike it that they are possibly making the cause I'm for seem worse off. For something I'm against, it only confirms my views yet irks me.

The letter to the education minister by the sec 4 was commendable, due partially to the lack of commendable peers of his generation, and his ever so often balancing of his own argument. Yet he only seems to acknowledge exceptions, when indeed these exceptions are large enough to polarize the debate. For one thing, the premise that our education system stifles creativity is generally accurate in truth, but perhaps regarding the fact that 'elite' schools (eww I hate the term) generally favour more enriched environments (though evidently in Raffles, many students are still not receptive).

Also, he should understand the idealism in his suggestions. Unfortunately, I do not believe his peers are as capable as him. Neither does Science cater for much creativity you see. Changing keywords is not a good thing when they are international standards. Nor do the West want to let go of their monopoly on talent. Given that their Universities still look for such tests results, does not leave Singapore much of an option when NUS is not an Ivy League.

At 16, I am cynical that any form of freedom will be used comprehensively and with maturity as of yet, with of course the exceptions. Imagine what happens when you give freedom of speech. Sure you get some pretty cool and insightful remarks... drowned out by the sound of idiots who did not bother to get their facts straight.

The cold fact is facts. Memorization is sometimes as necessary as knowing photography equipment. I hate the fact that we have to browse lens, talk about minimum aperture values and whatnot. But it has been rare to find a clever photography with artistic skill compensating for technical know-how. Basics first, relax 16 year old, you still have your whole life to express yourself. Its whether you realize it later or not.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Climb every mountain, ford every stream.

No comments: