Float

Float

Friday 28 January 2011

Raffle's Institution

OK. I kind of lost the piece of paper where I listed my top ten annoyances when I moved house. I'm lazy to find it, but I'll let you know what infuriates me the most.

Top Annoyance
Assuming/Misconceptions/Preconceptions/Rumours


Just like how people who've never even been to Raffle's, EVEN walk on the school grounds or nearby and start talking about how he knows this friend, and that friend, and his friend knows a friend that tells him they're all elitist and unfriendly to 'outsiders'.

Even if they are true, you can't know for sure. And you shouldn't go around saying it like its a fact. I really, really hate these kind of rumour spreaders.

What about inferring?
Inferring, firstly, is based on evidence and facts that you've seen. Examples and case studies. It is hence not what I'm truly talking about, which is utter belief in one's words without evidence to some extent.
Secondly, inferring is not completely factual, and never claims to be. It is a skill used to sieve and compare.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So yeah. RI people are truly great. And like I've been rebutting everyone who try and preach to me about their school, they are people just like us. Really. The difference is they're more matured. They can talk about current affairs. They are intellectual. They care about their well-being and others. They can talk to you heart-to-heart as equals and not be shy about it. They play hard too and have lots of fun.

Honestly, I can't tell all that from one day of orientation for sure. But from what I've seen, its definitely not the kind of 'elitist, alienation' people keep claiming they're like. Even my mum told me to be careful. She likes to scare her children.

My only wish is that people would stop assuming things without evidence, even one or two small examples should not be allowed to stain an entire school. Don't just believe one source and disregard further ones, or stop thinking logically because you think you know the answer.

No comments: