Float

Float

Wednesday 30 December 2009

An alto story

Being an alto is really hard, both in terms of singing and in terms of recognition. Singing these weird ass parts to compliment the sopranos in such a low range falsetto while trying hard to be heard over the sops is no mean feat. Its a pity no one else thinks so.

People often think Soprano, Tenor and Bass are hardest because of their extremities, very high falsetto, very high real voice and very low real voice. Which of course is true that they are indeed difficult. But no one usually compliments an alto for being "very pro" unlike the other sections. Ever heard of the 3 altos? don't think so. But you've probably heard of the 3 tenors. We have a very important part to play in the choir, being the chord makers and keeping the sops anchored, but not many people appreciate us, heck most people totally DAO us. I sometimes even feel Mr Kwei DAOS us, he rarely compliments and befriends altos and usually does it to the sops or tenors and even basses. Its just frustrating. I only know of one alto that stands out, and its because he sings soprano sometimes and has an operatic tone.

When a soprano blasts a high note, the audience will turn their direction to them and get impressed. Obviously no one is impressed by altos blasting low notes... But its exactly the reason why I love alto. We are like behind the scenes crew, putting all our efforts to help the main performance. Occasionally someone will appreciate us, and its all we need to keep on going.

But every section has nice parts, even alto. That's when people start saying we complain too much about our part even though its so nice... seriously want to slap their face. Anyways like I said each section has nice parts, so its only normal for me to like other parts to. Problem is, whenever I sing soprano, tenor or bass parts, people start suaning me and ask me to shut up. What the...fork sia, lols inside joke. Nevermind, anyways these people seriously get on my nerves. Its like High School Musical's message on the status quo, stick to it.

Which means I'm forbidden to sing soprano or tenor parts. I know I sound bad in them, especially in tenor according to my friends, but thats part of the point of me wanting to sing them; practice makes perfect. So what if I have a weird tone? Doesn't mean I'm 'tone' deaf, I'm singing the correct notes. But people who cannot absorb green light will start laughing at me, gradually influencing others to do the same when I blast in tenor. You know what? Screw you beaches, I sing whatever I want. Can't take it? Then get out of my range. Cause if you'd rather tone deaf people to weird tone people, I cannot help you. You have zero tolerance.

Here's another comic for your enjoyment. Sorry for the lousy quality, its kinda rushed.

No comments: