Float

Float

Wednesday 18 May 2011

Saving time

This title has two meanings.

The first is because I'll have to shave my post cleanly and succinctly to save time.

The second is what the post is about, a brief commentary on why I don't jaywalk. Or would rather not.

Why so random? Because today I was walking home with Russell (whom wts happens to live next time me and didn't know +_+) and he was injured, and so was using half a pair (lol) of crutches. My street is a weird one. Not jaywalking means I have to cross twice from the bus stop. So jaywalking here seems even more valuable than not. I used to jaywalk until I asked why.

Why'd I stop then? Why waste time on a traffic light? Well one would know me to be naturally a guai kia haha. But of course I don't follow rules blindly either.

To me, its simple economics. You're about to shave 1 minute of time, and risking an accident, not just with a car, but with the law. Think saving $1 on locker fees if you decide to leave some belongings unattended in safe Singapore. And my friend was on crutches too :/

"But everyone does it!" Indeed. A lot of people do. Then again, there are Jia Lok, Joshua, etc. who don't mind a safe crossing. And FYI, you don't have to follow the crowd, nor does the crowd justify your actions. Think corruption in Pakistani politics. (everyone's doing it!! :X)

Neither am I considered 'wasting' my time waiting for the light. I'd probably be singing along to my music, reading a magazine, texting, and what not. Doesn't seems like a waste to me, more like enjoying some spare slow time.

Getting a kick out of the thrill? Neh. Might as well go sky diving. I would.

So by logic, I'm not losing, rather I'm benefitting, I'm gaining little, risking much (however unlikely) and completely happy going against my own generation's sentiments. In fact, I could probably save 5 minutes running the short distance from the bus stop home anyway. (YEAH SCORE ONE FOR NON-CONFORMISTS) One might call waiting at the traffic junction patience training. OK sorry that's probably just me haha. For now, got to rush!

No comments: