Float

Float

Saturday 2 April 2011

Reply & Some stuff about game music

My CBOX is flooded, I think it best I reply as a post instead.

@Marcus: I just... don't like to be beaten, meaning I'm not that OK relaxing all the time. I'm a bit over competitive that way. I managed to get into Photog society. Council results on Monday

@Jaren: Mhm... I'm insecure all the time

@Jin Xiang: Awwww I'm so touched you read my blog, really. Its OK if you don't tag, don't force yourself, you're not my guidance counsellor haha. We're not in the same boat, we're in similar boats that are both in similar situations haha. If we were, I'd have been banned from playing scrabble or something. I think my priorities were shaped a lot by Chinese values inculcated in me in Ngee Ann, others before self. Don't worry, I'll take care of myself for you haha. (See what I did there? I twisted it so its doing something for others lol)

@Jia Lok: Haha I'm so guilty you always have to come 'rescue' me +_+ You're right, nobody told me I need to befriend everyone... actually it was more of a personal value and goal of mine. But I was probably being naive when I set that value early in Primary School... About my fitness, I'm often ashamed of myself. Every time I hear other people running everyday I tell myself I'll do that and then end up not doing it. The most I can make nowadays is to do it every week.

You could say I'm walking in your shadow, but being a shadow is being the lesser exact copy of you, and I guess I'm not. And even if I were, I'd be your shadow over anyone else. Being unknown is not that  bad, I don't think I feel the kind of pressure you get from teachers as much. I don't know why but this reminds me of the little 'chao da bao' you gave me from Taiwan. There is nothing extravagant about it, but it is whole and genuine. It doesn't have a mouth or anything but eyes, just watching the world in a little corner and still being cute. It doesn't need to say a thing to cheer me up, I just look into its empathetic eyes.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

What good game OSTs might have:
1. An original, recurring but varied tune/atmosphere, or a familiar main theme
Example: The Halo Sountrack (main theme), The Witcher Soundtrack (Atmosphere and tune), Harmony- Runescape, A cat named Mittens - Age of Mythology

2. A Choir part! (Come on seriously, no game OST is complete without the harmony of voices and instruments)
Example: Muptop - Age of Empires 3 OST, Heretic Hero - Halo 2, A lament to Solon - Kameo OST

3. Interesting instruments! (or an interesting mix, e.g. Er Hu and Violin) (To Augment originality!)
Example: Peril (Pizzicato String) - Halo 2 OST, Age of Mythology soundtrack

4. An emo/relaxing song (using the violin or flute for example!)
Example: River of Life - the Witcher OST, Autumn Voyage - Runescape, To Zanarkand - Final Fantasy X

5. A String-Percussion hybrid instrument heavy song! (like the Piano, Synthesizer or Gu Zheng)
Example: Minigame theme - Plants VS Zombies, One Final Effort - Halo 3 OST

6. A beat heavy song! (For battles or intense game play moments)
Example: ElectiCity - Sim City 4, Act on Instinct - Command and Conquer, Ruinion - Age of Empires 3

7. A expansive/epic piece!
Example: Born to do this - Runescape, Human theme - Warcraft III OST, Behold the Great Sci Fi - Age of Mythology, Menu Theme - Grand Ages Rome

8. A very catchy or overall good song!
Example: Lith Harbor - Maple Story, Ultimate Battle - Plants VS Zombies, Jerk it Out (By the Caesers) - Fifa 2004

I'm sure there are more, but I've no time to list them all! This is not to say any soundtrack with all these is good, not that a soundtrack without any is bad. It really depends on the game! I tried not to repeat examples but most of them can be repeated.

No comments: