Float

Float

Saturday 17 September 2011

A morning destitute

Woke up like any on a hot hazy afternoon with little direction for the day.
I staggered off bed as usual and headed for the world outside my cave.
But this post is not about how I eventually conquered my breakfast and all that sort of phenomenally useless bits of information some people might post about.

I'm posting because I just finished the Saturday Special Report on Nursing Homes.

It is absolutely heart-wrenching to witness the fragility of old age again, having done so first hand two years ago when my grandfather was bedridden.

He had been living by himself in a flat somewhere near Macpherson, Circuit Road or something. Then everything sort of became a hazy film strip. One day hearing that he fell from my mother. The next day again. The next day diagnosed with osteoporosis. And everything sort of went downhill from there.

Just. One. Fall.

My uncle didn't want to take him. And my father told my mother the son should take responsibility, not the daughter. (He's from the maternal side) And no one had the resources or time to take care of him since everyone was working. Hence, no one could take care of him. I didn't know this was the case then. Going further back, I still remember sitting in his clunky little Hyundai as he fetched me from home after Robotics when I was P5, and other times when he took me for Chinese Tuition when I was P4 to P6. Talking about old age and other things I cannot remember. I still remembered he had a flair for engineering and loved building things. (He was an electrical engineer). He gave me some old kind of building toys to play with, lego of course, and another, more complicated set with cogs and spindles. Only now do I know how much he loved us and I guilt over my stone face every time I see my family.

Not a very nice way to wake up to a mugging weekend.

Look out the window and feel a therapeutic wind and life goes on.

------------------------------------------------------------
Excerpt from Linkin Park's Waiting for the end - Translated into chinese with correct syllables.
Just wanted to practice some chinese.
等待结束来,希望我有力气站。。。
这不是我计划的况,我没有了控制。

正在光速飞行,思想在我脑里转。。。
那么多话都没有说,难把您放齐去。

------------------------------------------------------------

This was actually taken after the theme 'circle' was closed. Still, I thought it was a good photo. Both for Circle and Imagine. Wasn't submitted. BTW all these images are on FB.

No comments: