Float

Float

Wednesday 9 March 2011

Time away in Ubin Part 1

My RI classmate Kwang Ik, whom is now my good friend :), told us in his reflection of the camp. "We only get to see the true colors of people under pressure." But, I think, in some ways, people just have to be put out of their comfort zone to start expressing their inner self, even if its a little.

The class camp, I think, was more meaningful than one would have thought. I myself didn't believe 2 days was enough to open people up. But I realize, a lack of sleep (and cleanliness) can push people over their barriers more than you may think.

Chronologically... my thoughts and experiences. One of the main things I found in the trip, was a clear split between the Workaholics and the Easy Going in my class. To maintain PC, I used those two terms which have both positive and negative connotations. I think, I've learnt I must aim to be less Guai Kia haha.

Day 1 Morning: Report to school, everyone's psyched (I think, oh wait its probably only me haha), I meet my eco lit enrichment program interviewer (whom I rejected over GCEP enrichment program =x), immediately can tell he's cool with it, and really is an awesome guy in general, he turns out to be our camp instructor)

The walk to our campsite indicates individual preferences of friends to chat with on the way. Obviously.

Once again, while he's trying to brief people, a few of my classmates prefer to converse and ignore him. As usual GUAI KIA me is annoyed. Thankfully there are also people annoyed with me like Jia Lok and Kwang Ik.

Afternoon: Everyone's having lunch, suddenly, the big circle decides to partition into two. Not due to a split in the circle, but because a few of the typical 'popular' kids decide to close an inner circle to talk to their friends. A more apparently clique formation begins here.

Its time to have some class bonding sessions. And this was one of the more emotional periods for me...

You know good 'ol DISC profiling? A similar exercise was used, where D was Eagle, I was Peacock, S was Dove, and C was Owl (all birds in this way, and the test is slightly different)

I know I'm an IC, and yeah, I turned out to be a peacock. However, I was still disturbed for a few reasons. Firstly, peacocks already have negative connotations to me, I hate people who show off looks, in this case animals. Secondly, I was grouped with people in my class whom I don't really have a good impression of (Short attention spans, joking among themselves while the teacher is talking, ponning lectures half the time, disturbing teacher, etc.) Naturally, it got me thinking, am I like them? ... I guess I overreacted a little. But I honestly was uncomfortable being labelled as the sort whose all talk no action, preferring to joke over work kind...

Then came the semi-fun game of using the air cannon at the old gun placement on Ubin. Unfortunately, the hi-score timing for classes was ridiculously fast and we quite fail in terms of beating the timing despite our valiant efforts hehe. After that was a secret tunnel thing where our team was very awesome and had many brave souls haha. Great Job people! I mean, compared to the other half of our class with frequent screaming from the girls due to the pitch-black setting we had to navigate, was very fun. TBH, if I was still back in secondary two or three I would probably have been more terrified xD.

Evening: Another major event was next; cooking our own dinner. Why major event? Cause you could really start to see whose interested in helping and whose not. So while some were busy cooking food for the whole class, the rest played Captain's ball. I didn't really have a problem with this, I always liked to work in the background, maybe only recognized by few. So I cooked and took photos of both events (being a good photographer, must cover all events properly hehe) I don't know if the really did it, but the Captain's Ball people were supposed to clean up instead (maybe they felt guilty after all), but I didn't really see it, guess they decided to make an empty promise. Oh wellz, what can we do? Can't pressure people to do things, it wasn't a very serious camp anyway, and I can't expect everyone to be as enthusiastic as us.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

What defines me:
Relatively Smart
Choir
Photography
Lame Joker
Wimpy
Nerdy

Hence, my new way of spending free time: Doing lame photoshopping xD

Rocking Chair


Chair: http://free3d.architecture.sk/2008/01/ea115-eames-chair-free-3d-model/
Guitar: http://professional-guitar.blogspot.com/2010/08/types-of-guitars.html

No comments: